It has been found that new buildings are sometimes built on the site of old buildings, hiding their origin. Is this possibly the case with Grovehill House?
The name Le Grove is on a map showing medieval place names in 1269, possibly on Piccotts End Lane somewhere in the area of where Grovehill House was.
Was Le Grove the site of the first Grovehill House?
The word grove is from an Old English word 'graf' used before AD900 for trees such as Hazel, Lime or Poplar planted close together to form a plantation with two or three acres attached. The origin of the word before this is unknown. It remains in use and is mentioned in a survey of 1523 often carrying the name of the medieval owner. We see it preserved in the name of the piece of very old woodland, Howe Grove, that borders the Link Road
Around 1747 a mortgage on a farm of 60 acres called New House, situated above Piccotts End and near Two Beeches was acquired by a Quaker, Thomas Squires. This appears on two maps, one dated 1820.
Local farmers today remember Grove Farm only as a name. Maybe it ceased to be a farm as such when the latest Grovehill House was built and the stables were rented out.
THESE GROVE FARM BUILDINGS WERE DRAWN BY PETER WAGON
THIS SKETCH SHOWS THE FOOTPRINT OF GROVE FARM IN 1820
The flint and brick base of the wall can stil be seen in a low bank at the edge of the lane.